The world is going ballistic daily on technology related discoveries. Every day, new and innovative ways to enhance the standard of living is being developed. There are lots and lots of technological developments in the world as of today. We are going to be taking a look at augmented reality. Simply put, augmented reality can be defined as an enhanced version of reality. Augmented reality is also referred to as mixed reality. Unlike the virtual reality, augmented reality does not seek to skip the real world by transporting you to a different world. It rather seeks to enhance the real world with a set of tools which you might feel are magical virtual objects. A very good example of Augmented Reality is the Google Street Map that helps individuals navigate various areas.
Simply put, augmented reality simply involves supplementing or augmenting of one’s reality with computer enhanced images. That is to say AR makes some addition to our current reality. Most of the images are mostly motion tracked. For example, most people tend to use snapchat filters to enhance their images or videos, this can be seen as a primitive form of augmented reality. In augmented reality, one difference between the Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) is that augmented reality helps create a new and improved world where virtual information is used as a tool which can help provide assistance to everyday activities.
Augmented Reality has continued to grow in popularity ranging from surgical procedures, down to social media filters. Augmented reality has been able to spread to various areas of daily lives such as the following:
- AR has been able to improve classroom education, learning experience is been improved with AR. For example, teaching and learning is been improved with various apps. One of such apps is the Arusma app, which aids in learning as students can have an augmented view of their classroom.
- Also, AR is currently deployed in field service for quick diagnosis and repair. From simple diagnosis such as washing machines such to the most difficult and complex cases as the wind turbine, AR is used for a quick and efficient diagnosis and helps in repair work.
- Public safety: AR is also making progress in the area of public safety. In situations of emergency, most individuals tend to seek answers with their mobile phones as they seek the next steps to take to keep them safe. AR is still making progress in helping public safety. For example, in situations of natural disasters or other emergencies, the first responders try to figure out those who need assistance and the best way to assist. Wit AR, first responders can be able to identify who is in more danger and how to get to such individuals and also help direct other individuals to safety.
- Modelling and Designs: AR is already playing significant roles in modelling and designs ranging from architecture to interior designs. With AR headsets, are able to model buildings and even cities and are even able to on the spot changes virtually.
- Medical Training: AR is used in medical training ranging from operating medical equipment to complex medical surgeons. With AR technology medical training can reach new levels as new heights and depths can be reached.
The list is endless when it comes to AR, Augmented Reality continues to spread its tentacles to almost all areas of life. AR can be categorised into various categories such as
- Marker based
- Marker less Augmented Reality
- Projection Augmented Reality
- Superimposition Based Augmented Reality
Although AR has been around for a very long time, it’s still a technology that is still relatively new and continues to be explored for a better environment and life.